Our next style of home we want to profile is French Country. Rooted in the rural French countryside, this style includes both modest farmhouse designs as well as estate-like chateaus. The style exudes rustic warmth and comfortable designs.
The French Country style includes both modest farmhouse designs as well as estate-like chateaus. At its roots, the style exudes rustic warmth and comfortable designs.
French architecture is a unique style that offers a lot of charm with its distinctive characteristics. These house plans generally have asymmetrical exteriors with a combination of ornamental attributes that complete the design.
Key Features to a French Country Home:
- Curved arches, soft lines and stonework
- Stucco and brick exterior
- Steep roof pitches at varying heights
- Curved roof pitches are sometimes incorporated in one or two locations
- Usually two stories in height with high rooflines
- Inside, you’ll find wood beams, plaster walls and stone floors
- Chimneys are usually large and sloped at the base
- Tall, thin windows, often with slat-board shutters, steep roofs, multiple gables, and assorted arches (windows, shutters garage openings and entries)
As with many other styles, there are variations to French architecture. Some plans are symmetrical with steep hipped roofs and exteriors are sometimes siding, shakes or other materials. We can help you decide which design style best suits your home, or your plan for your home. Contact us to learn more!